Credit card chips
News

Why the Chip Card isn’t the Disaster Everybody Says It Is

From all the grumpiness over the “EMV” chip-card transition, you’d think that the circuitry embedded in our new credit cards delivered a small electric shock every time you inserted one into a terminal at a check-out counter.

Customers say they don’t like chip cards because you have to leave them in a reader for as long as half a minute instead of swiping a card’s magnetic stripe with a single, satisfying flick of the wrist. Retailers complain that after costly hardware and software upgrades, they still can’t take chip-card payments because their systems have yet to pass required certification tests.  Read More…

Replies to this Post

1. Pablo E. says:

Disaster? Everyone i know considers it a blessing. I remember the old days when we had to sign for every card purchase.

2. Javion says:

I thought Apple Pay (people using their phones) was going to be the next hot thing. Seems logical to go that route.

3. Kori Denman says:

I’m still impressed how the US is so behind us.

4. Darien B says:

I wonder if they use dial up modems when verifying cards? lol! That would be funny to hear the tones.

5. Wilson Dine says:

And i just only learned i can use tin foil to protect my cards from drive-by readers.

6. Waverly G says:

The chip and its variants only benefit mastercard, visa and the others. Not much to us as consumers. They claim it adds more security but i have yet to read a story that explains logically how or why it would.

7. Wallace says:

Can anyone simply go on ebay and buy one of these things? They should have a way to prevent this. It would make for an interesting school project though.

8. Brendan B says:

I remember when we as Canadians finally went beyond chip and into the tap. The USA is very behind. I love the tap feature.

9. Jeffrey says:

It must have been one heck of a war to get visa, mastercard, amex, discover to work together to accomplish this mutual (and profitable) benefit way back when.